Our History

The Town of Augusta is located in the Southwest corner of Oneida County and covers about 27 square miles. Much of the town, centers around and drains into the Sconondoa Creek, which then in turn, flows northward into the Oneida River drainage basin.

The Town contains two hamlets Augusta and Knoxboro and one village, Oriskany Falls. Both hamlets flourished until the First World War. Knoxboro as the site of a lock company, a creamery and pea canning company. Hops, used in the brewing of beer, was the major crop until 1911 when a mold developed in the hops crop, necessitating sulphur treatments for the soil, making hops growing quite expensive. Hops soon phased out as a local agricultural crop. While local industries have long since phased out in the hamlets, the town economy is presently based on relatively specialize prosperous dairy farms, which have evolved over the years.

Please see below for a look into the past with some historic photos of the area!

Interior of O&W Railroad Station in Oriskany Falls. 1920

June 11, 1917 Flood damage to the O&W Railroad track.

Knoxboro NY Canning Co. 1903

O&W Railroad in 1912

O&W Railroad Station in Oriskany Falls

Old Train Depot near the O&W tracks. Old wooden Mill in background

Oriskany Falls looking toward the old Railroad Trestle. Catholic Church on Madison Street in background.

Oriskany Falls Railroad Station that was moved across the street and made into a family home in 1911. New station was built that summer.

Portion of the Mile Long Trestle 1880

Train Wreck in Oriskany Falls 2

Train Wreck in Oriskany Falls 3

Train Wreck in Oriskany Falls

Wooden Railroad Trestle 2

Wooden Railroad Trestle