- Zoning Board Secretary
- (315) 821-2489
- (315) 821-6196
- 185 North Main Street
- PO Box 686
- Oriskany Falls, NY 13425
- Paul Sykes - Chair
- Keith Williams
- Skip Staelens
- Zane Elliott
- Anne Brown
Zoning Board of Appeals
Zoning Board members are appointed with a 5 year term. Meetings are the 2nd Wednesday of every month at 7pm (April - December) at 185 N. Main Street, Oriskany Falls NY 13425
Chair: Paul Sykes
Member: Keith Williams
Member: Skip Staelens
Member: Zane Elliot
Member: Anne Brown
Secretary: Sheila Staelens
Responsibilities of the ZBA
The general purpose of the Zoning Board of Appeals is to hear and decide any appeal or decision, order or interpretation by the officer whose duty it is to enforce the zoning ordinance, and it shall have the power to reverse any decision of such officer on a oncurring vote of the board as provided by statute. The Zoning Board of Appeals shall also conduct hearings on requests for variances.
In particular, the powers of the ZBA are:
To decide any question involving the interpretation of any provision of this chapter, including determination of the exact location of any zo ing district boundary or any other determination made in the application and administ ation of this chapter. Such interpretation shall be considered and rendered by the Board only upon application or appeal following la determination made by the Director of Plann·ng and Development or the Code Enforcement Officer, unless requested by an officer of the City or the Planning Board.
a. Variances may be granted to modify or vary the strict application of any of the requirements of this chapter so that the spirit of this chapter shall be observed, public safety and welfare secured and substantial justice done where strict application would result in a practical difficulty or unnecessary hardship that would deprive the owner of the reasonable use of the land r building involved. The unnecessary hardship or practical difficulty must relat to the land, mt the applicant, as I all variances run with the land. A hardship or difficulty which is merely personal to the current owner of real property will not justify the granting of a variance which runs with the land. Variances granted are subject to site plan review according to Article XV.
b. Definitions. As used in this section, the following terms shaII have the meanings indicated:
USE VARIANCE -- The authorization by the Zoning Board of Appeals for the use of land for a purpose which is otherwise not allowed oris prohibited by the applicable zoning regulations.
AREA VARIANCE -- The authorization by the Zoning Board of Appeals for the use of land in manner which is not allowed by the dimensional or physical requirements of the applicable zoning regulations, such a minimum lot size, minimum lot width, minimum setbacks, off-street parking equirements or sign limitations.
Specific Duties of ZBA Members
- Recognize and avoid or make public any conflict of interest your po ition may place you in; don't pursue sp1cial privileges; maintain confidentiality; an let your behavior contribute to the sm oth operation of your board. Much acrimony can be avoided this way.
- Become familiar wit the law that covers public open meetings and hearings and review the materials you wer given when you were sworn in.
- Complete a minimum of five hours of relevant training within one ear from the date of initial appointment to the Zoning Board of Appeals and four hours of relevant training in each subsequent year of membership.
- Attend monthly ZBA meetings to review and discuss up-coming agenda items, development issues, work program activities, and to review and make decisions on land use development applications, changes to the City's land use regulations, City wide, neighborhood and sub-area plans.
- Attend occasional special work sessions with the City Council, various interest groups and other planning related presentations and field trips.
- Be available on a periodic basis to represent to Commission on the Comprehensive Plan Task Force or other advisory Board or Committee.
- Have a willingness end dedication to commit both time and personal energy to the Zoning Board of Appeals.
- Have an interest in comprehensive community planning, zoning and subdivision of land, and the protection of fhe environment.
- Have a desire to assist in implementing the City of Ogdensburg's Vision Statement and land use policies, including the Comprehensive Plan, Subdivision Ordinances, Zoning Ordinances and environmental policy, for the purpose of protecting the health, safety and welfare of the residents.
- Have a willingness to encourage and accept input from citizens, organizations and those directly affected by Iand use related actions made by the Board of Appeals.