The Town of Augusta is located in the Southwest corner of Oneida County and covers about 27 square miles. Much of the town, centers around and drains into the Sconondoa Creek, which then in turn, flows northward into the Oneida River drainage basin.

The Town contains two hamlets Augusta and Knoxboro and one village, Oriskany Falls. Both hamlets flourished until the First World War. Knoxboro as the site of a lock company, a creamery and pea canning company. Hops used in the brewing of beer, was the major crop until 1911 when a mold developed in the hops crop , necessitating sulphur treatments for the soil, making hops growing quite expensive. Hops soon phased out as a local agricultural crop. While local industries have long since phased out in the hamlets, the town economy is presently based on relatively specialize prosperous dairy farms, which have evolved over the years.

Please see below for a look into the past with some historic photos of the area!

Our History Gallery

  • History Box
  • Visit Box
  • Community Box